Saturday, June 7, 2008

Why We're Kind of Loving Hillary Right Now


So, I had to be somewhere and left the heavy lifting to Rach on the concession recap, but I can't help myself. I have to chime in. That was a hell of a speech. A few days ago I said we should give Hillary the benefit of the doubt and boy was I right. Today we saw a woman who four days ago was still clinging to the belief there was some way she could win the nomination rise remarkably to the occasion. These Clintons are amazing politicians. Hillary's party, essentially as one, told her on Wednesday she would have to concede. It was medicine we all know she wanted no part of, but instead of swallowing it through gritted teeth and doing the bare minimum required of her, Hillary stood up today in front of a crowd that also wanted no part of concession and did her absolute best to unite the party. She forged on through boos, willing her supporters to join her in the fight for a democratic White House and eventually turning those boos into cheers. For the first time, I truly believe Hillary Clinton sincerely wants what is best for the democratic party and the nation.

As Rachael said, she finally embraced the historical nature of her campaign. Obama ignited our imagination with hope and possibility. Today I see Hillary could have done the same. I ached for this Hillary earlier, but I am so glad she has arrived. It is worth noting that here at DC headquarters we were against Hillary as VP when we woke up this morning and now we're thinking, hmmm.... not the worst idea ever. Wow. I just realized if that was a calculated move, she really is an evil genius. Whatever the motivation, the speech was everything I wanted it to be. When Hillary proclaimed "Yes We Can!" I believed her and I got choked up. It was the moment, to me, when Hillary Clinton officially joined the Barack Obama presidential campaign in whatever capacity she is asked to fill. She was magnificent and I kind of love her.

No comments: