Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm sorry, how does fist bump = terrorism again?


I don’t know about you but every time some idiotic news item erupts around something the uncool side of the aisle ties to terrorism, I get really REALLY REALLY overwhelmed and exhausted at the thought of even trying to come up with a reasoned, rational argument for why these conflations are not only patently false but deeply irresponsible and quite frankly unpatriotic. It’s so obvious I can’t even imagine spending brain power on this bullshit!

And then I realized, wait. Those of us “in the know” popculturally, could use this as an opportunity to take down things we happen to hate. I don’t hate the fist bump Michelle gave Obama (in fact I think it’s an adorable sign of the times that wives nowadays don’t just bat their eyes at their other halves but are peers, co-eds, who share a sense of humor and would rather bump fists than dork out with a high five) but I do hate things like, I dunno Paris Hilton, The Duff Sisters and stretch pants.

What I think is going on here is that right-wing nuts are hilariously out of touch with youth-culture and so every little quirky millennial trend like SCARVES WITH FRINGE gets them all out of sorts and the only thing they know how to do is call it terrorism. Here’s hoping they don’t catch on to my personal fave saying “w00t” and stick with heiresses and movies like The Love Guru to stick in their little McCarthy machine and pop it out “terrorism.”

No comments: