Tuesday, June 10, 2008

To sleep no more...

Y'all have probably already heard this, but I just learned what Barack Obama did with the precious weekend off he earned after clinching the Democratic nomination. This guy hasn't slept for months and won't sleep for months to come. If I were the B.O.B. (and not just the B.O.R.) I would have put him on bed rest or sent him to a spa. Barack, however, opted for a slightly different direction.

He hosted a slumber party for eight 7 year-olds for his daughter's birthday! Let me paint you a picture. 1984. A warm January night in Miami Beach. 3 A.M. My father comes barreling into my room and uses his rarely brought out but very scary shout-y voice to convince me and my girlfriends to stop screaming and get in bed (we thought we'd seen a large green bug in the doorway - turns out it was a hideous ceramic mezuzah I'd made in Saturday school - a career as an artist was not in my future). I cried and told him none of the other girls' dads yelled at us at their sleepovers. I thought I would never recover from the embarrassment and slumber parties were banned in my house forever more.

His one weekend off. Oh, Barack.

1 comment:

Meesh Mosh said...

sigh - and 8 years later you were the best sleep over helper ever at my very own